Sunday, June 19, 2016

Elegushi Family Shuts the Beach over Death of UNILAG Ladies

Following the tragic drowning of two masters degree students of the University of Lagos (UNILAG) at the Elegushi Private Beach, the Elegushi Royal Family has shut down the beach in honour of the victims and to allow for proper investigation of the unfortunate incident.

The ladies, Adesola Ogunmefun and Funmilayo Odusina, drowned while swimming in the ocean during a party to celebrate of their friend’s birthday. They were said to have submerged in strong tides.

The Elegushi family closed down the beach ahead of the visit by the state government’s investigation team. The family said the measure was taken to improve safety and management standards at the beach.

In a press conference in the Elegushi Palace in Lekki, the family’s spokesperson and Asiwaju of Ikate Land, Prince Olanrewaju Elegushi, condoled with the bereaved family, regretting the “unfortunate incident”.

The royal family refuted the claim that the victims died in the beach, noting that the deceased were rescued alive but died on the way to the hospital. Prince Elegushi said the safety facilities at the beach were up to the standards, adding that necessary safety measures, including the provision of lifeguards and ambulances, were provided at the beach in line with best practice.

His words: “We want to set the record straight on the incident that happened at the family beach on June 5. We want the public to know there was high and strong ocean tide on that day and visitors were warned not to swim beyond a dedicated danger line, where we hoist a red flag to indicate strong ocean tide.

“We achieved substantial per cent compliance, but some visitors still went ahead to swim beyond the flag despite constant warning by our lifeguards. When the victims drowned, our lifeguards plunged into the ocean and rescued them alive. Let it be on record that none of the victims died on the spot as reported.

“Immediately they were rescued, the victims’ friends, rather than allowing experts to give first aid and resuscitation exercise, they carried the victims and drove to the hospital, where the two students died. It was very sad and we commiserate with the family. The family has decided to temporarily shut operation of the beach in honour of the victim and to allow investigation.”


Post a Comment