Saturday, August 30, 2014

Wife Of Doctor Who Died In Rivers Has Tested Positive To Ebola

Just imagine the big problem Patrick Sawyer has brought to Nigeria. How sad! The wife Dr Iyke Enemuo, who died in Port Harcourt last week Friday after treating a diplomat who had contact with the primary contact, Mr Patrick Sawyer, has tested positive to the Ebola virus disease.

Rivers State commissioner for health Dr Sampson Parker said the widow of Dr Enemuo had been flown to Lagos for treatment where the National Treatment Centre for the Ebola virus is located, since the test of the result conducted on her indicated positive.

As at the last check, we gathered that the Federal Government has not given Lagos State any money from the released funds to fight Ebola, yet Lagos is championing the fight. Kudos to Governor Babatunde Fashola and his team for a job well done, so far.
“When news got to Mr Koye that the doctor that treated him in Port Harcourt had died, he collapsed. It was then he opened up and confessed that Dr Enemuo had treated him when he travelled to Port Harcourt. He confessed that he sneaked out of quarantine to Port Harcourt.”
Speaking on the state of the late Doctor's wife, Rivers State commissioner for health said:
“We transferred her to Lagos for two reasons: she wanted to leave this zone and, second, we transferred her to enable us concentrate on tracking those who have had secondary contacts with Koye. There is a perfect synergy between the federal and the Rivers State governments on combating the disease in Lagos.”

Dr. Sampson Parker said the late Enemuo knew that Mr Koye, who works with the ECOWAS was a carrier of the dreaded Ebola virus when he was treating him.

In his words: “From what we have gathered so far, Dr Enemuo, knowing full well that Koye was positive of the Ebola virus, took some measure of precaution to protect himself while treating Koye. Knowing the enormity of what he was doing, Dr Enemuo, upon Koye’s departure for Lagos, poured bleach all over the room that Koye slept in order to sanitise the place.

“Upon developing the Ebola symptom, Dr Enemuo approached one of our colleagues for treatment at Green Heart Hospital, along Evoh Road, in GRA. Dr Enemuo did not tell the doctor that was treating him the truth. He merely told him that he had a fever. He lied. He did not tell the doctor that was treating him his full story.

“But the doctor, a nice and conscientious professional, suspected that Dr Enemuo was either hiding something or was suffering from a strange ailment because he proved negative to malaria fever and typhoid fever. To be sure of what he was doing, he spoke to other very experienced doctors about the strange case he was handling in his hospital.

“He even invited some of his colleagues to come over to his hospital to study Dr Enemuo’s medical history. Of course, the news of the Ebola virus was everywhere, so, they were afraid to go. None of them showed up at the hospital where Dr Enemuo was being treated. His condition continued to deteriorate and he eventually died and his body was taken to the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital, UPTH."

The commissioner for health stated that 60 more people who had secondary contact with Koye were quarantined last night bringing the total so far to 160, adding: “Our contact tracing team is working seriously to make sure we contain the spread of the Ebola virus in Rivers State.”